Thursday, August 11, 2011

Positive Training All the Way!

I just read an article written by a fellow dog trainer with a call to arms to certify dog training and finally cast out those dominance based trainers and those who recommend them. http://www.michaelbaugh.com/?p=248

I fully applaud him for doing this. Happily, it seems that positive training is on the rise and I don't have to give the "please don't watch Ceasar Milan" speech nearly as much anymore. The handful of traditional trainers in my area attract a different category of people. Generally older people that have trained that way for a long time and are not open to change, people that I probably don't want to take on as clients that will challenge positive dog training and be closed to trying it.

While I am a proud preacher of positive training, there are people that have their heels so dug in, it is better not to stress myself with pushing them to change. The clients that have felt this way inevitably drop out of class and keep to their medieval ways. I honestly feel bad for their dogs.

Traditional trainers and those who seek them out aside, one of the truly sad things Michael mentions in his article is the animal advocates that recommend this type of training. I have seen far too many animal rescue groups suggest traditional trainers and insist that their dogs need a hard hand or need a leader to teach them respect. These are the same people that have rescued dogs from abusive or neglectful homes. These people have an intense love for dogs and doing right by them, yet they place choke chains on their neck and basically abuse them in the name of training.

I have heard of veterinarians, animal communicators, groomers etc also recommend traditional training from what I assume to be a misunderstanding of current dog training standards! Dog owners trust these professionals for advice and I am sure a great many are lead down the wrong path from seeking out the wrong trainer or methods.

Even those who choose not to use a trainer have ready access to traditional training books, videos, online literature etc. It is quite sickening and sad to think of all the dogs being mistreated in the name of training by well meaning owners and animal advocates that are simply misinformed.

I apologize for the rant, but this article really struck a chord for me. I hope people become more educated about training and realize the impact traditional training has on dogs and the bond they have with their owner.

If you would like to know more about the differences of positive training versus traditional, without the moral issue thrown in, take a look at my post titled, "Value." It has a basic definition of each with the differences.

No comments:

Post a Comment