Monday, March 28, 2011

Fat Dogs

We all know that America has a human obesity issue and some people with pets know that this problem is now affecting our fuzzy companions as well. According to an article I read today, 50 percent of America's dogs are obese!

I am a stickler for keeping my dogs lean. They are active dogs that need to be fit for flyball. With Lucy getting older, the lighter she is, the better her hips will feel.

Dog obesity is quite sad considering it is a HUMAN problem, not a dog problem. We are responsible as owners for what goes into our pet's tummies. There is really no reason, other than a severe medical problem, that a dog should be fat. All it takes is some food moderation and exercise. Or simply food moderation and no exercise for some dogs!

Today I was with a training client and she commented that Lex looked underweight. I will admit he is about 2 pound under where I would like to see him. He is a picky eater and moderates himself severely. I don't believe in free feeding, so he gets an opportunity to eat 2x per day, and what isn't eaten in a reasonable amount of time, gets put back into the bag. I once was a victim of his food terrorism, offering him canned food, people food, raw diets, dehydrated diets. Even after two meals of such gourmet fare, he would turn his nose up at his bowl. I had knots inside me thinking how my poor dog was starving. I sought out advice on training forums, spoke to his breeder and was told that a healthy dog will not go hungry for long and that I needed to stop catering to his demands. His breeder even told me that his relatives were also "thrifty" eaters and they kept themselves lean naturally even when left alone with a bowl of kibble all day. I can tell you he is less underweight now with our 2x per day kibble regimen than me offering one delicious tidbit after another, which resulted in him going off food until I offered something even tastier.

I find that with so many dogs overweight that most owners don't appreciate a healthy, trim dog. Also, with Lex being a smooth coat, he doesn't have fur to hide behind. Here are some pictures of Lex.


And here are some pictures of Lucy (they weigh the same):



So how do you make a fat dog slim? It is easy. You don't even need to buy a diet food!

Step 1: make sure your dog is on a high quality food (see dogfoodanalysis.com) such as Avoderm, Pinnacle, Castor and Pollux, Wellness, Solid Gold, Call of the Wild, Innova or any Natura product, Merrick.

Step 2: read the back of your bag for the feeding recommendations for your dog's age and IDEAL weight. Start feeding that amount suggested.

Step 3: closer monitor your dog's weight via weigh ins or rib checks/belly fat checks. I don't weigh my dogs frequently, I feel their mid-section.

Step 4: augment amount fed as necessary based on your checks.

Step 5: exercise your dog when you can!

Step 6: no more fatty, nasty, sugary, chemical based treats! If you are training and need treats, use small pieces of veggies or Charlie Bear treats as they are very low calorie. Also cut back on dinner or breakfast on the days you use treats or give your dog a bone.

Depending on how many pounds Fido needs to shed, you should see a change within 2-3 weeks. Pretty soon your dog will be happier and healthier. I think it is a given the benefits of being fit, so I won't bore anyone with those facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment